Dr. Derek Lewis
2152 Long Lake Road.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dr. Derek Lewis and his staff of professionals are always here to answer any of your dental related questions. Here are just a few questions and answers that many patients have.
1. How safe are dental x-rays ? Exposure to all sources of radiation including the sun, minerals in the soil, appliances in your home and dental x-rays can damage the body's tissue cells. Fortunately, the dose of radiation you are exposed to during the taking of dental x-rays is extremely small, especially if using digital x-rays.
2. What is a tooth implant and what is the procedure to get one? An implant is surgically placed in an opening that your dentist makes in the jawbone. After the implant attaches to your bone it acts as a new root for the crown that will replace your missing tooth. A crown which is made to look like a natural tooth is attached to the implant and fills the space left in the mouth by the missing tooth. For this procedure to work there must be enough bone in the jaw. If there is not enough bone, it may be added.
3. What is a cavity caused by and the procedure of a filling ? Cavities form when bacteria in plaque and tarter convert sugar into acid. The acid demineralizes the hard structure of the tooth, which over time creates a soft spot or hole in the tooth called a cavity. Dentists do fillings by removing the decayed tooth material with a drill and replacing it with silver alloy or composite resin material.
4. What is an abscess and the procedure to remove it ? A swollen area within body tissue, containing an accumulation od pus. The procedure to remove it could be: root canal treatment, removing the affected tooth or in some cases surgery.
5. Do I need to have my wisdom teeth removed ? Its not necessary for you to get your wisdom teeth removed if they are correctly positioned in your mouth and do not cause any pain or dental problems. If they are impacted and / or cause crowding in your teeth a dentist may recommend that you have them removed.
6. How does smoking affect my teeth ? Smoking can lead to staining, gum disease or in severe cases mouth cancer.
7. Does tooth whitening toothpastes work? Teeth whitening toothpastes will not give you the charismatic, bright white results unless you naturally have very white teeth. If you want to actually whiten your teeth, you might consider bleaching them. You could see your dentist for a professional teeth whitening treatment.
8. What is tooth decay and what are the causes ? Tooth decay is damage is damage that occurs when bacteria in your mouth make acids that eat away at a tooth. Bacteria and food can cause tooth decay. A clear sticky substance called plaque is always forming on your teeth and gums. Plaque contains bacteria that feed on the sugars in the food that you eat. As the bacteria feeds they make acids. The acids attack the teeth for 20 minutes or more after you eat. Overtime these acids destroy tooth enamel, causing tooth decay.
Dr. Derek Lewis
Looking for a Family Dentist who is excellent with children? Contact us today and find out why Dr.Lewis comes highly recommended for children dental procedures.
Long-Term Dental Care
Long Lake Family Dentistry located in Sudbury also provides cosmetic dentistry services. We have the latest dental technology to better serve our patients. May it be veneers or teeth whitening you would like Dr. Lewis is there for you.
It's never too early (or late) to set good dental care habits in motion. These, combined with regular checkups and cleanings, can ensure a lifetime of smiles. We have technology and experience that makes the long-term care of oral health easy.
Dr. Lewis and his team believe in providing quality dental care to families. Having the same dentist ensures your family that all your families dental history is under one umbrella. Also, children and adults seeing the same family dentist provides a level of comfort as well.
Sudbury Dentist Making A Difference.
Book Your Dental Appointment Today !
Copyright © longlakesudburydentistry. All rights reserved.
Dr. Derek Lewis is a Sudbury Dentist who operates his dental clinic at 2152 Long Lake Road in Sudbury Ontario. Dr. Lewis is a member of The Royal College of Dental Surgeons. Long Lake Family Dentistry offers cosmetic dentistry, implants, whitening and regular dental checkups.
Website design and marketing done by: www.teamadwords.com